Sunday, January 08, 2012

Tired of death

Yesterday I was faced with death as I attended the funeral for the 26 year old son of a close customer. I had met him once or twice but I was really going for his parents. I work with them often enough for them to know my work performance this summer was greatly affected by Kim's leaving. Shari had even spoken encouraging words to me now and then. I wanted to be there for them at this time that would be their greatest loss since I began to know them.

I am tired of death though. I am tired of the enemy. I am tired of brokenness and I am tired of the wounds we are left with.

Perhaps that is why Hebrews 5:8 spoke to me the way it did today.

Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered (Hebrews 5:8 NIV)

The death and brokenness we experience in our lives, the pain and the wounds that sometime never seem to go away...these things are all meant to shape us, just like they shaped and taught Jesus. Perhaps the question we should be asking instead of why is this happening is what should I be learning here or maybe even what is God trying to teach me

I hope in your time of solitude that you ask those questions, even though they are much harder questions to get answers for because the response God gives often requires a response in our part...often an act of obedience.

Nothing, you see, is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37 MSG).

No comments: