Saturday, December 27, 2014

Brothers


Yesterday I went to the Quick Lane Bowl with my two other brothers. The football game was horrible, a matchup between schools hovering around the .500 mark. Rutgers from the B1G and UNC from the ACC. Dropped passes, missed tackles, interceptions, fumbles, blocked punts, missed field goals. A constant parody of ineptitude. 

But it was one of the best days I have had in a really long time. 

For the first time I can remember, while I was the little brother on this trip, I didn't feel like the little brother. I felt like I was just with my brothers. There wasn't a rank. There wasn't age. There was just brothers. We laughed, sang to the radio, talked sports, joked with each other, drove from the backseat, ate crap food, and got Starbucks way later than is reasonable to have coffee. 

We were just together, and it warmed my heart. 

I have always looked up to my brothers, I am the shortest one after all, so this day where I was included without feeling like I had to fight for attention or garner favor by my actions just felt right. It felt like I belonged. 

I'm still smiling. 

No comments: