Tuesday, December 02, 2014

When I'm sick

It's been a good chunk of time since I've been sick. I am beyond thankful for that truth. 

Tonight though, I was reminded that when I am sick, I am a really big baby. 

Planning to stretch out from 1.5 to 2 miles tonight I started down the road as sundown approached. Clouds in the sky meant it got dark very quickly. Cars were racing down the road like madmen so I had to stay out of their way. 

Just a bit before the mile marker, another car was coming, but as I tried to move to the side, I misstepped somehow, badly rolled my ankle and tumbled onto the ground. 

And then I layed there helpless. I couldn't get up, the immediate pain was excruciating. I literally laid on the ground and screamed like a baby waiting to nurse. 

I run a loop and was on the back half. I was three houses down from my house and was just staring at my light, wondering how do I get up. How do I get across the road. Who can I call to help me. 

My frustration mounted and reached the same level of my pain. I screamed again, hoping the scream would somehow give way to a levelheaded demeanor and that I would find an answer. 

It didn't.

And so I just laid there on the ground with nobody to call for help. 

A random car stopped and checked on me, helped me off the ground and back home. 

So there I was hobbling aroud, getting ice and pillow and aspirin. Finally it was resting, icing, compressing, and elevating.  

Instead of feeling accomplished, I felt alone. I was hurting and I wanted somebody to come sooth my booboo. Really, I used the word booboo as I was talking to myself. 

Sure, I was being a big baby at the moment, whimpering at the still excruciating pain. My ankle was throbbing and had swollen to the size of a grapefruit. 

As I started to settle in, my LifeGroup was starting to arrive. And I was reminded of an important truth. 

While I may be a big baby, I was made for relationships. I was made to care for another and to be cared for by another. Emotionally. Physically. Spiritually.  Mentally. Intellectually. Sexually. Wholistically.  My LifeGroup was there to care for me Spiritually. 

I was reminded that while I feel alone today, there will be a woman who comes along and will care for me in all the ways I was created for, as I will be able to care for her. That, and I was reminded I can be a REALLY BIG BABY.  


No comments: