Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Ghandi and Jesus

I learned very early in life that when talking religion that Jesus is normally the correct answer.

While I learned this in a Baptist church in Grand Haven, it turns out that I would have learned this at most gathering places (even the, gasp, Catholic ones)

The other day I bought this piece of wall art. As soon as I saw it I was drawn to it. Many words, many colors, many fonts, many little quips.

Today is a new day, you can start fresh, wipe the slate clean, begin again
Embrace kindness
Practice compassion
Stand up for justice
Talk to strangers
Ask for help
Listen with your whole heart
Offer hope
Work for the common good
Live well
Be the change you wish to see in the world

It is a powerful piece that I proudly am hanging in my kitchen as a reminder to me and a conversation piece to all who see it, including my 8 year old

I later found out that "be the change you wish to see in the world" is a quote made famous by Ghandi.

With or without Ghandi saying those words, a person should ask themselves, "what change do I wish to see in the world?"

I want to see Gods redemption and restoration that comes through Jesus. More simply I want to see Jesus

Maybe I am over thinking this here, but I think it is pretty cool that Ghandi is encouraging me to be like Jesus.

No comments: